Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year


Happy New Year!  As you can see, we are having a lazy day here on 1/2/12.  Yesterday I hosted a birthday party for my friend, Susan.  It was a great afternoon….a gathering of her friends with everyone bringing wonderful finger foods……. we had quail eggs en croûte, salmon, delicious things wrapped in bacon, etc., etc., etc.….and an ice cream cake to top it off.  Although we forgot to serve it before everyone left, so some missed out.

So today I am just hanging out and reading my book George and Arthur by Julian Barnes, a book that I bought at None Such Bookstore near my apartment in Maine.  They sell quality paperback used books (as well as new) at half price and if you buy three you get one free. And then after you read them you can return them and get store credit towards more books.  Then of course I came home and the library had called and four books I had on reserve had come in.  This always happens, and I also have the new Julian Barnes, The Sense of an Ending, that was a Christmas gift.

So now what do I do?  Abandon the book I am in the middle of and own?  Well, I didn’t want to do that as I am really enjoying it, so I did the 100 pages minus your age theory (if after reading the specified number of pages, which in my case would be 31½ pages, it still intrigues you, it is a keeper) to see if the books from the library were ones I wanted to read.  They all were, so I think I will be doing some major reading these next couple of weeks and hoping that I can renew them. (The books from the library are Oliver Sacks The Mind’s Eye; Jeanette Winterson Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit; Alison Espach The Adults; Denis Johnson Train Dreams – and don’t ask me why I reserved these books as I haven’t a clue)

I am sincerely hoping that 2012 is the year I move to Maine…………time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. You are currently a woman rich in reading material! Such a dilemma to have.

    Does moving to Maine hinge on selling your place in New York?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Pea - Yes, I must sell my place in NY before I can move to Maine. I am talking to a realtor this week.

    ReplyDelete