Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Ungrandmotherly name..................



My grandchildren call me Clog and I am willing to bet I am the only grandmother called Clog in the whole world.  Here is how it all started....

When my daughter was pregnant with her first child, she and her husband (two very intelligent people) began the process of finding a suitable name for their unborn son.  Much to my dismay, they took momentary loss of their senses and were seriously contemplating naming their child after a piece of farm machinery….let us just say it is usually red or green and has two large wheels and has Allis or Deere in the name.  When questioned as to why this seemed appropriate, they declared that it was something that was always reliable, sturdy, etc., etc.  I responded “I love my clogs, wear them all the time and they are very durable and comfortable, but I would never consider naming a child after my shoes!”  Hence, I was the one christened with the name “Clog”.  I actually have grown to like it. Oh yes, and they named him, very sensibly, Henry, which fits him to a T (or is it tee?  I will have to look it up.)

I have had a moment of trepidation with the arrival of each new grandchild, but I must say all their names fit their personalities -- Elias (Eli), Zuzanna (Zuzu), and Ramona (Monie).

One day when I was picking Eli up from his little pre-school, the teacher said, when I walked in the door, “Eli, your granny is here.”  Eli looked up a bit bewildered and then said “That’s not my granny, that’s my Clog”, much to the bewilderment of the teacher.


9 comments:

  1. I always wondered from where that 'unique' name came. Now I know! I just could NOT imagine you as "Granny". No-how. Good thing you were wearing loafers when they were fishing for a name....xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, of course, were NOT wearing loafers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That's not my granny that's my Clog!" OK. I laughed out loud. Love it! (....and I'm pretty sure you ARE the only grandma on earth called Clog.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have to agree with the fact that you're probably the only Clog-grandma! DD (almost three) has yet to "pick" a name for her Grandma, although Grandma is scared to death that it's going to be "Granny"....she says it remindes her of the grandmother in Beverly Hillbillies! To which I respond, "what's wrong with that?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan - "Loafer" might fit me today in this dreary weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for finally sharing the story. I can picture you telling your daughter you would never name a child after your shoes. I guess we still feel too much societal pressure to conform to more traditional names. But the intention and qualities that underlie the choice are far more important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've never worn stiletto heels, have you? ("That's not my granny, that's my Stiletto!") Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so totally changing it to Loafer now. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn - Oh, Granny is definitely a no-no. I am so not a "granny". Although I called both my grandmothers that and used their surnames to distinguish the two.
    Mama Pea - I have NEVER worn stilettos and never will.
    Ah Susan and her quick wit!

    ReplyDelete