Friday, January 27, 2012

Obsessing.............

I have had some people looking at my house….a woman yesterday and one tomorrow.  I was cleaning like a maniac until I was on the phone with a friend who said “You are way too OC about this, let the realtor do their job selling your place for their 6% commission, your house is fine.”  And after I got off the phone I thought “I have to start thinking like a man”.

Because how many men do you know that would be worrying about whether that shelf is incredibly organized or those few ashes on the floor from the woodstove are there or that the animal bed is a bit untidy?  I cannot think of a one.

Now the animal thing is a bit of a problem as we have been having milder weather which = mud and = Grayling trying to get those little creatures that burrow into the soil.  I looked out yesterday and she was halfway to China, just her yellow, fluffy derrière sticking out.

The cat goes out briefly but comes in and sleeps the rest of the time, but that brief foray = dirty paws and then he climbs on the chair and leaves these lovely little dirty footprints.  I have relaxed a bit about that especially since I have whitish slipcovers, which I want to clean but am afraid if I send them to the dry cleaner, someone will want to come and look at the house, and what is underneath them is pretty horrible.  They are sort of animal-dirty/Martha Stewart chic at this point.


And by the way, what idiot invented the vacuum cleaner?  It is the most cumbersome machine going.  In my next life I am getting central vac.

4 comments:

  1. You? Obsessive? Excuse me while I break down into hysterical laughter...your house, on a bad day, is more tidy than any six others I've been in. Besides, a few number of dirty little cat footie prints will allow the soon-to-be-new-owner to feel better about his/her relaxed standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add - get a Shark vacuum. It is powerful, not expensive, light and wonderful!

      Delete
    2. A Shark? Never heard of it but just looked up on Amazon -- looks good and not expensive. I have a small one for the apartment which is fine although the dirt section has to be emptied all the time. I will look into a Shark in my next life if the central vac fairy doesn't visit.

      Delete
  2. I think I'd be safe to say that our homes are NEVER so clean and tidy as they are when we have them for sale. And, yes, it's a woman thing. A man (well, most men, I know there are exceptions) can clean and tidy a house and it still looks . . . um, ah, oh . . . not spiffed up? I have no experience with a central vacuuming system but I have a feeling I could benefit from one.

    ReplyDelete