Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Spice it Up...............

I read comments on Facebook and hear friends complaining about wanting to eat better but not having time to prepare meals, etc.  Having worked full time for years, I can sympathize with this lament.  I like to cook and I like good food, so most prepared foods do not appeal to me. 

Recently I discovered the versatility of salsa and have incorporated it into many dishes. One of my favorites is to sauté several vegetables (onion, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus), throw in some shrimp or cannellini beans, mix in salsa for the sauce, and serve it on pasta (or spaghetti squash), topped with feta cheese and black olives.  It is delicious and quick/easy to make. Most salsa has basic ingredients and is very inexpensive. And another benefit of salsa is that it spices up your dreams!

I just took another of my favorite dishes out of the oven ……..roasted vegetables. This is also easy and you can make as much or as little as you want.  My dish today consists of Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, red onion, red potatoes.  Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and bake at 475̊ for 30 or 40 minutes, stirring frequently.  I often splash a little balsamic or red wine vinegar on it when cooked.  You can also add feta cheese here too. I usually just use whatever vegetables I have on hand and make this year round.  I eat it cold or heat it up, put in wraps (with salsa) for lunch.  The problem with it is that I love it so much, I cannot stop eating it.

2 comments:

  1. Two great sounding food ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now I know what to give you for Christmas next year - jars and jars of my canned salsa! I am putting your salsa trend to work on my dinner tonight. I have: spaghetti squash (pre-roasted), olives, salsa, feta. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete