Monday, January 16, 2012

Why I Am Getting New Glasses.......


I spend a good deal of time looking for my glasses.  Since I am nearsighted and don’t have bifocals, I take my glasses off to read and then I cannot find them (evidenced by the picture).

As I thought about this blog post, my mind went back to when I first started wearing glasses which must have been when I was about seven.  Back then, glasses were not cool.  The statement “boys don’t make passes at girls who wear glasses” was true, not like now when it is “hot” to wear them.

Funnily I don’t remember ever going to pick out frames as a child, which I must have done, although I am sure the optical shop had about five styles to choose from. I remember once deciding that I wanted new frames, so I sat on my glasses but they didn’t break and my father fixed them, much to my disappointment.

I wore glasses until I was 22 and the minute I was out in the working world and had enough money, I got contact lenses.  Back then the lenses were the hard ones.  Living and working in New York City with all the dirt and dust would render you to tears needing to find a quiet corner to remove the lens then putting it in your mouth, cleaning if off and inserting it back in your eye!  It was also tricky to get them out at times, having to work your lids around the edges to “pop” them out.

I remember going to a big New Year’s Eve party at some friends in Connecticut and spending the night and not having my lenses' case. I put my lenses in a glass of water on the bathroom sink, only to find them gone in the morning…..ingested by some unsuspecting thirsty soul or washed down the drain.

In my late 40’s I went to the soft lenses….and then to the mono lens, so I wouldn’t have to wear reading glasses.  I loved contacts, but a few years ago I had so many floaters I was having trouble seeing with the mono lens, so decided to go back to glasses. 

I really like the glasses that I have as they as so light and people hardly notice that I am wearing them, but this searching for them several times a day is getting very annoying, so I have decided to get ones that are more obvious.

Between the time I will save not searching for them and the time I will save dressing like Steve Jobs, I could write the great American novel. Although judging by this boring blog post, you are thinking “she has got to be kidding”! 

5 comments:

  1. Good heavens! I have a comment box to comment in! I haven't been able to leave you a comment lately but now I seem to be back in business . . . hooray!

    My hubby is the one in this family that is constantly losing his glasses. I keep threatening to get him a nice rhinestone necklace so he can hang them from his neck. (He doesn't take to that really well.)

    There definitely are ways to streamline our lives . . visible glass frames and only two outfits to choose from might not be such a bad idea.

    And I always enjoy your posts so please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama Pea for your kind comments.
      I had thought of one of those things around my neck but I too rejected the idea. Miss S is going with me to pick out frames.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes! Definitely a good idea to always have someone go with you to pick out new frames!

      Delete
  2. I have about six pairs of prescripton and drugstore glasses all over the house. It's probably no wonder that my eyes are worsening - they're worn out trying to adjust! I am looking forward to helping someone ELSE pick out frames!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm, yeah. Glasses took a while to be perceived as fashionable. In any case, while it can be pretty fashionable, it's best to seek comfort and practicality first. That way, the eyes wouldn't get strained trying to adjust.

    -Vincent Davis

    ReplyDelete