Monday, December 12, 2011

Small Pleasures

During the night, I was thinking about the small pleasures in life.  What started this line of thinking was I was too hot and I put my leg on the cool side of the bed and it was such a wonderful feeling.  And then my thoughts went to how wonderful that first cup of steaming coffee is in the morning. I got up and got that cup of coffee and am reading my book Rules of Civility by Amor Towles and serendipitously come across this line….

"Whatever setbacks he had faced in his life, he said, however daunting or dispiriting the unfolding of events, he always knew that he would make it through as long as when
he woke in the morning he was looking forward to his first cup of coffee".

And yesterday the day was filled with many small pleasures.  Julie, the kids and I went on the carriage ride around Portland, then had an early supper at Flatbread Company, followed by a drive around Portland to see all the wonderful lights.

It is hard to see the driver, but he was wonderful and it looked as though he frequently stopped for a bit of grog to keep warm.  And oh how hard it is to get 4 kids to smile a natural smile or to get me to not look like I weigh 300 lbs.........those puffy down jackets don't help!

I would love to hear some of your small pleasures.

3 comments:

  1. Walking the dogs on a very cold morning - and getting that first, deep lungful of crisp, cold air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing that no matter what happens today, tomorrow is a fresh start and has the capability of being wonderful.

    P.S. I look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in my light blue down jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's the jacket, Mom. Look at Henry. He has -2% body fat, and he looks like a regular chunkster in his blue puffy.

    ReplyDelete