Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Are You Warm Enough?

As I sit here right now, I have on a Cuddl Duds long sleeve shirt, a long sleeved cotton shirt over that, and then a turtleneck, an old cashmere crewneck and a wool cardigan.  I do not turn on the heat in my Maine apartment.  Fortunately I am on the second floor, so some of the heat rises from my downstairs neighbor.   Julie’s house is always freezing, so I dress prepared…..seeing the kids running around half naked (or fully) sends shivers through me. 

At my house, I have a wood burning stove, which pretty much heats the entire area that I habitat.  I have a wonderful old wool sweater that Julie brought back from a trip to England that I wear around the house.  It is thick…..when I wash it, it takes days to dry.  It is really an old geezer sweater, but I love it.

One knows whose house is warm and whose house is less warm and whose house is downright freezing,  and dresses accordingly.  With several holiday parties coming up, one must take this into consideration when choosing which outfit to wear.  The worst is when you have dressed for cold and it turns out to be very warm and you have to excuse yourself and go to the bathroom and shed a few layers.

I see they sell fleece sheets in the stores.  The thought of crawling between those on a cold night is appealing…....but wouldn’t you be roasting by 3 AM? 

3 comments:

  1. It's always a little hard to figure out just what is the right temp for inside your house when you're living with someone. We heat with wood so our heat isn't close to uniform all the time. I can always put on enough extra layers to be comfortable but my skinny husband needs the heat cranked up to be comfortable. Fortunately, we both prefer to have it cool when sleeping so we can snuggle under our down comforter and generate our own body heat in our little cocoon.

    My daughter has fleece sheets and has found them just as you imagined. Loverly to crawl into, but way too warm after that body heat gets up to speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Pea - Yes, cool at night. I usually leave my window cracked all winter unless it is very cold..now where you live is another matter. Thanks for the review on the fleece sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking this morning of how much I love my flannel sheets. And you know that a visit to my home means 'wear layers'! Although I do love winter, I don't like having to wear all the clothes! My claustrophobia breaks out as soon as more than one layer goes on!!

    ReplyDelete