Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What Are You Reading?

In my old Gray Zone newsletter, I would always list what I was reading.  I love to read, always have.  As a kid, it was my great escape. As a parent, I always read to my daughter.  We would go to the library a couple of times a week.  She in turn reads to her kids all the time and her oldest (age 8) can usually be found under a table, or in a corner, reading.

Recently I started reading mysteries.  Many of my friends read these and I see shelves and shelves of them in the library.  I started with Louise Penny and read all hers, but could see as time went on, there was a publisher there pushing her to quickly get out another one.  Her last one wasn’t as good as the others. 

Someone recommended Charles Todd’s Ian Rutledge mysteries.  These got tiring after awhile as Ian never seemed to grow, even though he had had a breakdown after WWI.  The interesting part about these books is the time period which, was pre DNA and forensic technology, so the mysteries are solved on clues alone.  I would love some good mystery recommendations.

I usually have two or three books going….a non-fiction, a fiction, and something light to read before I go to bed.  Right now I am reading Henry Miller’s The Colossus of Maroussi, Gail Levin’s Edward Hopper: An Intimate Biography and Charles Todd’s The Red Door.  The library just called and said two books I had requested are in - In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje and The Newton Letter by John Banville.  This will keep me occupied in Maine next week.

5 comments:

  1. You should update your books on Goodreads- I love to use that to keep track of what I've read- otherwise I forget. I'm reading Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok right now and enjoying that. I love books about immigrants to America. Here's a mystery a friend recently marked on Goodreads that might interest you-
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/237209.In_the_Woods
    I'll ask her for more recs as she reads more mysteries than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as mysteries go (with a touch of romance), I love Julia Spencer-Fleming. Unfortunately, she's not very prolific. :o( Also, Suzanne Brockmann and Patricia Cornwell. Ms. Cornwell can get a bit on the grizzly side, but I've read most everything she's written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina - I enjoyed Girl in Translation.

    Mama Pea - thanks for the mystery recommendations. It amazes me how many books these mystery writers can belt out! A wonderful talent if you have it.

    I started the Ondaatje this afternoon and can't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, I'm with Christina -- I think once you started putting stuff in Goodreads, you'd have fun seeing what everyone else was reading.

    I have gotten so bad lately with reading multiple books. I've got several different kinds of nonfiction (parenting, writing, homeschooling) as well as maybe a fiction. I pretty much have a different book in every room of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina & Julie - I do have a Goodreads account. Of course there was some part of it that I couldn't figure out. I will have to have a little guidance....

    ReplyDelete