Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ah, Football...............

While the world is watching grown men bash their bodies together and grunt, I am sitting home by my fire reading my book and thinking about watching an episode of  “Lark Rise at Candlewood”.  Oh, believe me, there is nothing wrong with sports, it is just something I am not terribly interested in.

Most of the men in my life have been avid sports fans.  As mentioned in an earlier blog, having to chase my father down across the street as he watched the final of some sporting event.  I was first married in my parents’ living room the day after Thanksgiving, and as soon as the brief ceremony was over, all the males retreated to the TV room for whatever all those post Thanksgiving games are.  Ah well.

With my first husband we used to go to Mets’ games and I did get a bit caught up in that…the fun of the stadium and ardent fans.  It was during this marriage that I realized when cooking Sunday dinner, that if you asked how long before the football game was over, and the answer was four minutes, that was a downright lie.

My second marriage also was with a sports fan, more basketball than baseball, and I did get caught up in the New York Knicks.  It was also helpful as my boss at the time was totally ignorant when it came to sports.  He smoked though and was part of the Monday morning crew outside the building fulfilling their vice.  He would come in the office and say “Quick, give me a rundown on yesterday’s game” which I would do, and he would happily go out and puff away, feeling somewhat of a Monday morning quarterback.  He would always come back to his office after these sessions and say “Ah, football” (or baseball, or tennis, whatever), a term that I have used many a time since for a conversation that I was not terribly knowledgeable about …“ah sewing’…….”ah, chickens”.

I shall undoubtedly be snug in my bed by 10, but I hope your team wins, that you don's stay up too late, or eat too much, and that you are not hung-over. 

2 comments:

  1. A friend's daughter stared at me yesterday in disbelief, when I said that, not only was I NOT going to be watching "the game", but I didn't have television service. I, too, was curled up with a book and in bed by 9:30. Blissful, full of wonderful thoughts and chamomile tea. Ah, football.....indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a "sports-mad" household. Then married my hubby who had absolutely no interest in sports nor did he know (or care) diddly-sqwat about them.

    For some reason, 10-12 years ago I got interested and watch Monday Night Football for about two years. (It could have had something to do with the fact that it was my excuse to sit and knit for 2 hours every Monday night.) I knew all the teams and players. But then there came the shift where players left their teams (and what I perceived as loyalty) and went to the highest bidder with regularity. For me that changed the whole "flavor" of the game and I (poof!) lost interest and have never watched any sports since.

    So although I knew this past weekend was the Super Bowl I had no idea who was playing. (Maybe I'll start ignoring Apple Pie next.)

    ReplyDelete